A stunning example in frosted silver plate with three original long screw posts to the reverse. Circa 1905. Some minor wear to plate on high points otherwise tip top. Circa 8.4 cm tall. Vendor states made by Gaunt but unmarked.
Renfrew et al Vol1 No 196 refers (but the one listed here is in frosted silver).
An attractive and scarce well made local cast brass badge with original pagri pin fixing. Nice original condition (worn from 1940s to 1955). 3.8cm tall and 3.5cm wide.
It is little known, but the Libyan Desert was the scene of one of the greatest logistical feats of WW2. After the capture of Kufra by Leclerc in February 1941 it became apparent, that the French have neither the manpower nor the logistical capability to maintain a garrison, and the task fell on the Sudan Defence Force. All supplies for the subsequent two years had to be trucked in from Wadi Halfa on the Nile, accross 1200 kilometres of barren and waterless desert. The convoys standard routes went via Bir Missaha and Jebel Kamil to the southern tip of the Gilf Kebir, either rounding it or crossing Wadi Firaq or Wadi Wassa. From there the convoys turned North, passed the 'Three Castles' and Wadi Sora, then continued via Mushroom Rock and Kendall's Dump to Kufra. To this day a number of relics still remain scattered in the desert.
There is nothing published on the convoys. While the accomplishments of the LRDG are well known, war historians have completely ignored this unglamorous but immense feat, in which the Sudan Ordnance Corps played a key part.
Renfrew et al, Vol 2 No 2308 refers.
A scarce die cast silver plated example on its original loops (north - south). Some minor wear to plated finish on the highpoints otherwise in good condition. Circa 1930s.
Renfrew et al Vol 2 No 2105 refers (but this one silver plated).
A small die stamped brass badge on its original slider. In very good condition. Rare.
The Ceylon Defence Force replaced the Ceylon Volunteer Force in 1910 until independence in 1949. Now known as Sri Lanka.
Renfrew et al, Vol 1, No 1119 & Cox No 1016 refer.
Good scarce die-stamped brass crowned title circlet with floral sprays with blank scroll at base; railway engine to voided centre. Oringal slider to reverse, poorly stamped 'Dowler, Birmingham' (perhaps after a trip to the pub at lunchtime!).
According to Renfrew, worn circa 1943 - 1949. Now Sri Lanka.
Renfrew el al, Vol 1, No 1130 & Cox No 1013 refer.
A white metal plated shoulder title in good overall condition with two original loops to the reverse. Worn in either 1914-18 or 1939 -1945 by the nation's home guard.
The Town Guard regiment was mobilized only on two occasions, these were during World War I and World War II. Primarily operating as a defensive force for Ceylon's then capital Colombo the regiment was made up of residents of Colombo with both British and Ceylonese Officers.
When formed in both 1914 and 1939 the primary task of the regiment was the defence of Colombo from enemy invasion and had the secondary task of protecting the British control over the colony. In 1915 during the Sinhalese-Moor Riots the Town Guard was called to restore public order with authorization to fire.
Renfrew et al, Vol 1 No 1158 & Cox No 141 refer.
A well cast and finely detailed one piece blacked brass shoulder title with two original flat integral loops to the reverse. In very good condition. This is of officer quality.
The Rangoon Volunteer Rifle Corps was formed in 1860 and re-raised in 1877. It amalgamated with Akyab Volunteer Rifles Corps in 1883 and the Toungoo Volunteer Rifles Corps in 1885. The Rangoon Volunteer Rifles Highland Company was raised in 1914. In 1917 the Rangoon Volunteer Rifle Corps became the 18th Rangoon Battalion, Indian Defence Force until renamed the Rangoon Battalion in 1920 with the formation of the Auxiliary Force, India.
This unit only carried the designation 18th from 1917 until 1920. In this period these were most often the only badges worn by other ranks in the great majority of Indian sub-continent based units.
Renfrew et al, Vol 1, No 1060 refers.
Die struck with two original lugs to the reverse. Please note this has nothing to do with Palestine or Israel. Circa 4cm tall. In very good condition and scarce. Pre 1953.
Cannot locate this particular pattern in either volume of Renfrew, Renfrew and Cranstron, but it is identical to the Helmet Plate centre in Vol 1 No 241.
A scarce British made die-stamped example of crowned gun pattern; top scroll “In Oriente Primus”; tri-part scroll “Singapore Royal Artillery”; “V” mounted on a turning wheel, original slider. A lovely item.
Bi-metal cap badge in good condition with sharp detail and original slider to the reverse. Worn circa 1928 - 1942 (although still being worn later by some personnel in the 1950s). Circa 5.2cm tall.
Renfrew et al Vol 1 No 726 and page 126 refers.
website designed and maintained by Concept500