Brass wide antlers pattern cap badge with original slider. In good condition.
A large die struck glengarry cap badge with two original loops the reverse. Circa 5.7cm tall. An attractive badge in good condition and with sharp detail. Worn 1887 - 1908. Also worn by the Glenalmond OTC.
See Bloomer p74.
Matching benchmarks '890' stampled to both halves still fitted to its original brown leather belt complete with its fittings. Leather is dry and could do with a light waxing to improve its feel and protect it otherwise in very good condition.
An attractive cloak chain complete with all fittings original, present and correct. Very sharp detail.
A large die struck pouch badge with three small flat lugs attachments to the reverse. Blackened silver plate. Letters are sharp and jeweller cut finish. The photos do not do it justice. Slight mark/dent to 'N' in Volunteer, otherwise A1 condition. Circa 10.3cm tall.
The Exeter Corps was founded by the superintendant of the Exminster Lunatic Asylum, Dr ( later Sir ) John Bucknill, and members were essentially drawn from the upper middle classes. The relative exclusive nature of the corps was reflected in the initial outlay of the uniform and weapon, which at Exeter in 1857 was 12 guineas.
To claim an incorporation date of 1852 is worthy of further comment. This particular wave of volunteering was occasioned by the Louis Napoleon coup of December 1851. However, a change of administration resulted in applications from other corps being turned down. Exeter was the exception and on the grounds that it appeared like a an area of exceptional risk of invasion. The corps was accepted by the Home Office on 26th March 1852 - its first officers were commissioned on 4th January 1853 - and it became the premier volunteer unit within the country apart from the Honourable Artillery Company. It was redesignated as 1st Devonshire Rifle Volunteers (Exeter and South Devon) in 1859 and became the 1st Volunteer Battalion The Devonshire Regiment on 1st November 1885. This plate continued in use until 1901.
Other Ranks Helmet Plate, worn c.1880-1881 only.
Die stamped in bronzed gilding metal, correctly and contemporaneously painted black as was often the case with other ranks of this volunteer battalion. With one original loop only, the other two have sadly been neatly removed, otherwise in very good condition. Circa 9.1cm tall and 6.6cm wide. With red felt backing.
Col D Wood Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges No 108 refers.
An extremely attractive arts and crafts style white metal (possibly silver plated) officer's voided whistle boss as worn on the pouch belt, the quality of this item is superb. A very attractive untampered with item. Whistle still makes a nice toot too! Retaining nuts to reverse of whistle scabbard only A colour photocopy of the full article featured with also be provided.
A small pair of silver plated V collar badges, with two original loops to the reverse of each. Silver now almost black in colour. Some slight twisting to lugs otherwise in good condition. Perhaps mess dress? Circa 13 mm tall.
Die struck, large at circa 49 mm tall. Never had any fixings. Owner believes it to be unfinished manufacturer's stock from the Gaunt pattern room.
A brass and white metal waist belt clasp, matching halves but without any benchmarks. The white metal grenade bearing the Royal Cypher ( GR ) reversed and entwined for King George V.
website designed and maintained by Concept500