Birtish Columbia Canadian Victorian / Edwardian Police Medium Pattern Button Kamloops City Police
Circa 19mm in diameter, fixed shank and maker marked Hicks & Sons, London. Silver plated but now dark toned, minor wear to plate on highpoints. It appears the manufacturer made a mistake on the spelling of Kamloops as it is "Kanloops" on the button, but the central crest on the button is correct one for Kamloops in British Columbia, Canada.
The City of Kamloops was incorporated on July 1, 1893. On July 3, 1893 the city appointed its first chief of police and one constable. A second constable was appointed on July 15, 1893. By April 1911 the city police force consisted of a chief of police, a sergeant and two constables. An additional constable was added in 1912. By 1922 the city police force still had a chief of police, a sergeant and three constables and in 1930 a fourth constable was added to the police department. The British Columbia Provincial Police took over policing duties of the city on July 1, 1938. At the time Kamloops City Police, had six members (a chief of police, a sergeant and four constables) Policing was taken over by the British Columbia Provincial Police in 1938 (likely with a sergeant, corporal and four constables.)