Blackened die stuck brass with two original brass loops to the reverse. In very good condition with sharp detail and only minor wear to blackened finish.
Out of the series of numbered territorial regiment glengarry badges, this is the odd one out as it looked very much like the badge to follow with the re-organisation post 1881 into county regiments, with the exception that its antecedent was struck in white metal.
K&K Vol 1 No 588 refers.
An original 1874 - 1881 pre Territorial Glengarry badge, die struck in a gorgeous yellow brass with two original brass loops to the reverse, mounted north / south. One of the nicest examples I have ever seen.
K&K Vol 1 No 466 refers.
A die struck yellow brass pre territorial first pattern glengarry badge with two original east - west BRASS loops to the reverse. A thickly struck badge with no damage and good detail. Roman numerals for 16 to centre of a multi-rayed crowned star bearing a maltese cross and a wreath of laurel with s a strap "Bedfordshire". Worn from 1874 until replaced by the smaller example more usually encountered (No 445). Simply gorgeous example.
K&K Vol No 1 No 444 refers.
A good scarce large and well detailed cast darkened brass eagle atop a small tablet inscribed “62”. Two original loops to reverse. Circa 7cm tall and a heavy solid badge. Commemorates the capture of a French Napoleonic Eagle standard and would make a great centrepiece for the display of your Essex regiment badges.
Representation of the Eagle of the 62nd French Regiment of the Line captured by the old 44th Foot at the Battle of Salamanca in 1812.
105th (Madras Light Infantry) Regiment, OR’s glengarry badge and matched facing collar badges set, worn circa 1874/6-1881. A good die-stamped gilt example of all three. Crowned coiled bugle horn; lined ‘105’ to voided centre. Brass lugs East and West to badge. (K&K Vol 1 , No 582). Collar badges are fitted with two original copper lugs, East and West (Chruchill No 1388 refers, 2nd pattern variety as worn 1876 - 1881 only).
In 1861 the 2nd Madras (European) Regiment was transferred to the British Establishment as the 105th (Madras Light Infantry) Regiment, becoming the 2nd Battalion, The King’s Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment) in 1881. An attractive but scarce set.
An original 1874 - 1881 pre Territorial Glengarry badge, die struck in yellow brass with two original brass loops to the reverse, mounted east-west. In very good condition.
K&K Vol 1 No 455 refers
An original 1874 - 1881 pre Territorial Glengarry badge, die struck in a coppery brass with two original brass loops to the reverse, mounted east-west. In good condition with sharp detail.
K&K Vol 1 No 570 refers.
In relic condition, some tarnishing to brass. Circa 7.2cm in diameter and 10.5cm tall, impressed brass plate ribbed horizontally and edged with a raised wreath of oak on the left and laurel on the right, surmounted by a large Victorian crown. The regimental number "68" in raised numerals below a stringed bugle.
It is a pleasing example given it is in repaired / excavated condition. The crown has been reattached and the cross to the top of the orb is missing. The repair appears to be have been well hidden and touched up with gold coloured paint. No fixings present. Sold " As Found" so no returns on this item.
It is rare to find these plates in undamaged condition. It is in better condition than the other example I have sold (see item 54896). Of interest to Durham Light Infantry ( DLI ) collectors, or of those with an interest in the Anglo Russian Crimea war of 1854 - 1855 in which the 68th played a prominent part.
Now reserved for Mark
An original 1874 - 1881 pre Territorial Glengarry badge, die struck in yellow brass with two original brass loops to the reverse, mounted north / south. The Fox copies had loops mounted east / west. A Good stiff badge, nicely struck and original to the period.
Ivan Machin A Guide to the Badges of the York & Lancaster Regiment 1822 - 1968 Fig 31 / Pages 35-36 refer (he also confirms the lug configuration).
K&K Vol 1 No 555 refers.
An original die-stamped brass example, with only minor signs of service wear but the key to the top of the central tower appears to have been professionally re-applied at some point. Star surmounted by Castle and Key; on the star a strap inscribed “Montis insignia calpe. East Suffolk” with “12” to voided centre. Reverse with brass (not copper) loops, north - south. Original yellow brass patina.
K&K Vol 1 No 437 refers.
website designed and maintained by Concept500