Silver washed bronze badge depicting the famous French 75 artillery gun above a scroll with the name of the Northern French town, Bethune. Silver finish worn, but otherwise in very good condition and with original pin and clasp fitting. Circa 2.2cm tall.
An attractive badge, the part voided version with original pin. Silver washed with brass showing through on high-points. 36mm in diameter. Sharp detail but with a small hole at 6 o'clock, possibly for the attachment of a safety chain.
The motto "On ne passe pass" (They shall not pass) was most famously used during the Battle of Verdun in World War I by French General Robert Nivelle. It appeared on propaganda posters, such as that by Maurice Neumont after the Second Battle of the Marne, which was later adopted on uniform badges by units manning the Maginot Line.
Large lapel badge (circa 3.2 cm in diameter), with original horseshoe fitting and maker marked JAW & Co (J.A.Wylie & Co, London). Some minor enamel damage (below the R in War caused by a slight edge bruise and slight flaking above the A in Russian and in that vicinity), but extremely scarce. Marvelous double headed Russian Imperial eagle in a sea of red enamel.
Dis struck white metal oval badge with two original dark toned lugs to the reverse (some service wear to lugs but still fully functional). Circa 4.6cm wide and 2.4cm tall.
In July 1918 the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Volunteer Training Corps were renamed and became part of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The Northumberland Fusiliers.
Westlake No 768 refers.
The gold standard was suspended at the outbreak of the war in 1914, with Bank of England and Treasury notes becoming legal tender as a substitute for scarce gold coins.
The First World War (1914-18) placed great demands on Britain's gold supply: the Government needed gold to meet the costs of the war, and the public tended to hoard gold as private security in this time of uncertainty. This depleted the circulation of gold sovereigns and half sovereigns (coins worth one pound and ten shillings, respectively). To supplement the scarce coinage, the British Treasury began to issue paper notes for these amounts.
The first pound notes were issued on 7 August 1914, only three days after war was declared. Because they were produced in a such a hurry, the printing and design were very simple, and a more elegant note was issued in October 1914. The notes were signed by Sir John Bradbury, Permanent Secretary to the Treasury, and they were soon nicknamed 'Bradburys'. Later issues carried more elaborate designs, printed in colour with larger, patriotic images of St George and the Dragon and Britannia.
Treasury notes continued to be produced until 1928, when the Bank of England took over responsibility for issuing the one pound and ten shilling notes.
An usual and scarce item of WW1 memorabilia. Pin is original and whilst it is in good condition, it looks its age.
In good condition with enamel intact. Slight dulling of enamel between the words 'National' and 'Reserve' possibly due to a fine enamel flaked off otherwise in super condition. Scarce.
A very scarce enamel pin badge depicting the town crest for Darlington in County Durham celebrating end on WW1 with "Peace 1919" below. Minor firing blemishes, but otherwise in great condition for age. Red enamel below the letters "in" in "industria" is missing, but again, this looks like a firing fault rather than damage. Original pin and clasp, fully functional (apologies for camera flash at top of badge).
A scarce Southdown Battalions Association Lapel Badge , Made up of 11th, 12th & 13th Battalions of The Royal Sussex Regiment. They were commonly known as 'The Lawther’s Lambs', sadly suffering huge losses during WW1. Sadly some damage to enamel at about 2pm (see photo) where top layer has flaked off due to a ding otherwise in very good condition and maker marked Thomas Fattorini Birmingham.
The final photo is a copy from the internet of the last meeting of the Association in 1979, a number of whom appear to be wearing the lapel badge.
See the following URL for more information:
An interesting pair of items which came together. An unnamed bronze medallion and an associated enamel pin badge. The enamel on the latter is in undamaged condition and the gilt bright, original pin fitting and maker marked Fattorini & Sons, Bradford.
In 1859, as a result of the perceived threat to Great Britain from the large increase in conscript armies on the Continent and especially the growing power of France, and given further impetus by a public outcry for improvements in the Country’s defence, a new Rifle Volunteer Movement, based on that of the Napoleonic Wars, was quickly formed to great popular enthusiasm.
This led, in the same year, to the formation of the National Rifle Association designed to encourage rifle shooting by the establishment of a great annual National Rifle Meeting open to both Volunteers and all-comers. There marksmen could compete for valuable prizes. To achieve this it was necessary to ensure that the location, initially on Wimbledon Common and later at Bisley, was readily accessible by train.
Van Den Berghs' Glasgow (Lanarkshire) brass halfpenny canteen token, undated. Obverse: Legend on two curved lines with value in centre: "VAN DEN BERGHS LTD ◦ CANTEEN DEPT ◦ ½D". Reverse: Legend on two curved lines with value in centre: "VAN DEN BERGHS LTD ◦ CANTEEN DEPT ◦ ½D". Plain edge. Van Den Bergh's premises were at 20 Spoutmouth, Glasgow and they produced margarine amongst other things. Good collectable condition (VF), see photographs. Circa 26mm.
I was told that this related to canteens set up in WW1 to assist Belgian refugees in the UK, in particular the one located at Elizabethville in Birtley, County Durham (now Tyne and Wear). Van Den Bergh is of course a Belgian name. However, this is purely anecdotal.
The final photo includes a picture of the 1D and ½D coins together for comparison purposes. Only the ½D coin is for sale here.
website designed and maintained by Concept500